Old March 24th 04, 11:17 AM
Steve Robeson K4CAP

Subject: Ham-radio is a hobby not a service
From: (Len Over 21)
Date: 3/23/2004 9:47 PM Central Standard Time
In article ,

(Steve
Robeson K4CAP) writes:

It just eats away at Lennie and Brain's rants that those plans include
Amateur Radio to the degree that they do. No problem...Just makes them look
that much more foolish.

Not at all. Both Brian and I have explained what is actually used
in emergency communications and by what means.

No, what Brain has "explained" is nothing at all.

Brain has asserted that the unlicensed radio services play a "major role"
in "emergency comms", but ahs yet to provide even the first example or
reference of thier use.

The "degree to which amateur radio is used" is a secondary role,
one of several fall-back methods to use in case of loss of one or
more of the primaries. The primary method is use of existing
infrastructure and public safety services' communications already
in existance.

Yep. No one has claimed otherwise.

What is "foolish" is all the preening and posturing about your
self-defined "importance in emergencies" from having been granted
a license in what is basically an avocational radio activity, a hobby.

There's not "preening" or "posturing" here, Lennie.

I would suggest a check of your vision. You have lost perspective
in viewing amateur radio in the very large picture of other radio
services. You are exhibiting mental tunnel vision. Not good for you.

What I "saw" (or rather DIDN'T see..) was that neither Leonard H. Anderson
or Brian Burke were participants or consultants at Heartland Response 04. This
was a major effort put on by FEMA and TEMA and did involve several radio
services or nets, including Civil Air Patrol, ARES and SHARES. It included
agencies from four states and had observers from both the Pentagon and the
White House in addition to those agencies already cited.

Good for me since I was in the middle of it and had one heck of a good
time.

Steve, K4YZ