Old March 24th 04, 03:08 PM
Mike Coslo

For those that might be interested, here is some info from the NCVEC
proposal:

From Part II (Proposal), section 19. (basic framework of the new entry
level license) Paragraph d.

Power limits. Limit transmitter output power levels to 100 watts on all
frequencies below 24 mHz, and 50 watts on all frequencies above 24 mhz.
This allows enough power for adequate communication under most
circumstances, and matches the nominal power output of the largest
number of commercially available transmitters and transceivers available
as of this writing.

The use of these suggested power levels also removes the necessity for
RF safety evaluations, as the power levels are below the stated
threshold values for the frequencies concerned.

(end paragraph d)

Okay, so the NCVEC petition *does* specifically ask for restricted
power on their "communicator" class license.

First, I like Carl's note on the name. Novice is so much better. It is
a time honored name, and although some may think this superfluous, it
looks good in print, and sounds good too. I like having just two easy to
say syllables, instead of 5!

Second, there is enough bad about this proposal that I pretty much
reject it out of hand.

- mike KB3EIA -