Old March 27th 04, 03:29 AM
William

"Arnie Macy" wrote in message ...
"Arnie Macy" wrote ...

I understand your point, but the intent of this section in the FCC rules

was
to stop Ham radio from being used for commercial purposes, not to prohibit
emergency communications. Nothing in the rules prohibits use of this
equipment during an emergency by any licensed person. Or for that matter,
any person whatever. As I said, our Ham equipment is being used for
redundancy, so for all practical purposes, it will never be used for

routine
communication -- other than testing to ensure it is working properly.

I just wanted to add that there are always exceptions to the rule. Two that
I can think of, right off hand, would be the Space Shuttle Crew (obviously
government employees) and Federal, State, and local EM directors and staff
(many of whom are Hams). Do you really think either of the aforementioned
would not be allowed to use their privileges because of part 97?

Arnie -

Arnie, please don't ask me to bless what others do on amateur radio.
I've been heavily criticized for a couple of positions that I've taken
wrt a literal "interpretation" of Part 97.

1. The no monetary rule, and repeater owners charging "dues" for
repeater use.

2. Administering a Farnsworth exam when Part 97 clearly states "Morse
Code."

I don't make the rules, and I don't take it upon myself to interpret
workarounds to what Part 97 states.

I leave that sort of work to the experts on RRAP and the FCC.

bb