Old April 3rd 04, 05:50 PM
Len Over 21

In article , (ugly
little mentally-seven-year-old very-amateur extra) writes:

Subject: New Candidate for 'Youngest Extra'
From:
(Len Over 21)
Date: 4/2/2004 4:19 PM Central Standard Time
In article , Robert Casey
writes:

Just get the damn license Len, it aint rocket science.

I know "rocket science" after working three years at
Rocketdyne Division of Rockwell International, the makers
of the Space Shuttle Main Engine and the F1 main-stage
engines of the Saturn Rocket (Apollo Program lifter).

I am sure that while cleaning the floors and emptying out thier ashtrays
and coffee cups, you got to know a LOT of "rocket scientists"...Probably even
picked up enough "lingo" to impress some "young thing" at a bar long enough
to get his pants off....

Tsk, tsk, tsk...ugly little comment from an ugly little person.

Members of the Technical Staff III didn't do janitorial services at
Rocketdyne. That was my work title and may be checked by
inquiry of Personell Department, Rocketdyne Division of Boeing
Aircraft [Boeing purchased the Rocketdyne Division from Rockwell
International after I left them]. My group was Electronic
Instrumentation and assisted many different project groups. My
tasks were with the instrumentation and sensor interface for
the Deformable Mirror program (part of the "Star Wars" work
spread all over the country); instrumentation for Solar One, the
50 MWe solar experimental power generation plant built at
Barstow, CA, (McDonnell-Douglas, Huntington Beach, CA was
prime contractor on instrumentation, Rocketdyne supplied the
solar boiler and underground heat storage - for darkness periods);
experimental liquid oxygen flow measurement for the SSME or
Space Shuttle Main Engine (cannot yet be safely directly
measured by any conventional flowmeter).

The Deformable Mirror program required actual deformation of
the mirror surface by actuators altering the surface by nanometer
distances accurately through an incorporated Bragg Cell dual
interferometer as the initial surface sensor and a phase-frequency
detector comparing the two interferometer outputs with a 16-bit
minicomputer program calculating the required mirror surface
information and actuators' necessary motion to achieve a desired
deformation. Deformable mirrors are now used in many astro-
nomical observatories for both focus and astigmatic correction
of distortion due to the earth atmosphere variability. My specific
contribution - besides being part of the team that organized the
electronics and computer interface - was a variation of the common
phase-frequency detector of PLLs optimized for linearity and
elimination of the very narrow "dead zone" at zero-phase. The
Bragg Cell outputs were at 39 and 40 MHz, the mixer (after
squaring) was digital. That was in 1980. The contractee was
the Department of Defense.

Solar One was a "local" project sponsored by all the Greater Los
Angeles electric power utilities. Rocketdyne's work with very
high temperature alloys and cooling with rocket engine "bells" was
a natural for the steam-generating boiler at the focus of hundreds
of heliostats (moveable mirrors reflecting the sunlight to the single
focus of the boiler). I got that assignment due to illness leave of
another MTS and the ability to work with very-non-radio Piping and
Instrumentation (in industrial applications) and the ubiquitous 4 to
20 mA wired sensor link systems and their subsequent interface
to the MacDac control midicomputer (32-bit word length). That was
in 1981.

The SSME LOX flow sensor project attempted to solve a very old
problem with conventional flow meters in that liquid oxygen wants
to "eat" any parts directly in the flow. Several attempts were made
to use ultrasonic waves directed at a slant through the main LOX
piping, that in the enormous high-level broadband noise environment
when the throttleable SSME is at working thrust (350,000 pounds
thrust at 110% throttle). After many firings at the Santa Susanna
Field Laboratories' test stand "Coca" that proved unsuccessful. The
method was eventually ruled out due to internal LOX density
disturbances that negated any sort of induced wavefront rate. At
present, LOX flow rate is inferred from relative temperature (non-
contact) sensors into a strap-on, very-high-shock/vibration-rated
computer mounted on each SSME. That same computer is the
link to/from the shuttle pilots and flight computer to control the
SSMEs. The thrust chamber of each SSME is about the size of
a small beach ball yet can provide about 175 tons of push. Fuel
is liquid hydrogen, rather more chilly than terrestrial surface fuels.
That was in 1982.

There was no sexual involvement involved, only that of connector
mating of male and female pins. To the best of my knowledge,
no "hermaphroditic" contact pins were used in any connectors.

I've also had four other [expletive deleted] radio licenses.

The best [expletive deleted] radio licenses money could buy.

All obtained from the FCC at the FCC's normal fee rate at the
Chicago, IL, and Long Beach, CA, Field Offices.

Only the PLMRS station EQUIPMENT cost any real money,
later recouped on a dissolved partnership business auction.

But none of them an Amateur Radio license.

Absolutely true...including two of the licenses then required
for Citizens Band in the 1960s. :-)

Putz.

Absolutely untrue, meshugge goyim. Shalom.

I sing kaddish to the demise of your civility and sensibility.

LHA / WMD