Old February 14th 04, 02:18 PM
Richard Clark

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 11:12:42 -0500, "cme" wrote:

Presently have a 4 elemnet bowtie Delhi
uhf antenna. want to play with a yagi before buying one, to see if it works
better, with out dropping the cash. would stacking another one on top of
the 4 bowtie on top of the present one give me anymore gain???? theres no
refector on mine. I'm half way in between 2 areas buffalo and toronto
transmission towers.

Hi OM,

It sounds like you have already gotten the most gain you could for as
cheap as it comes. The second investment is unlikely to bring any
huge gain. That is, if your signals are marginal, then two antennas
adding together will barely offer a crystal clear signal. Also, a
more complex one is unlikely too unless it is a single channel cut
antenna (your bowtie is not likely to fit that description).

However, there is a "hail mary" option. Put an antenna amplifier at
the antenna (not at the end of the cable where it plugs into the TV).
Make sure it can be powered over the line and is for UHF application
AT THE ANTENNA. This may not be cheap (browse the net for pricing),
but it will be effective, and it may be necessary even with an
investment in a new antenna. Do not substitute with a cable TV
amplifier, it will only brighten up the snow. (You can try of course
if you have a buddy willing to let you 'xperiment.)

Being between two signals suggests you should also invest in a rotator
- or skip the notion of being between.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC