Old April 8th 04, 01:07 AM
Robert Casey

The article? Heheheheh ....

Essentially, it seems there are new interference problems. The police and
fire departments in some areas have been experiencing interference from -
get ready for this - CELL PHONES!

Saw it here in the local rag too. The diagrams were particularly
uninformative. Showed
radio towers with a wave comming out. And the wave was divided up into
various
sections showing allocations. At first I thought "time division domain"
but realized that
it had to be "frequency dividion domain" for the allocations to make
sense.

Yep, the huge numbers of cell phones and
cell phone towers are beginning to make it difficult for the fire and police
to communicate. Many folks with HTs that have been in reasonably close
proximity to large communications centers (such as the 911 center about two
miles from my house) already know about intermod. Hey, weren't cell phones
supposed to be the new 'emergency' communications?

The sad thing is that the FCC is largely a shill for large business now. It
would't take a ton of effort for some kind of coordination to help avoid
this problem - but, hey, no regulation is better than regulation, right?

I hope your area isn't one of those they were talking about. Power to the
people! I can see it now. A release of gas, a minor quake - all the cell
phones light up and the police comms go down. Hey, why not eliminate the
FCC entirely?

They don't call it the "Funny Cookie Corporation" for nothing. :-)