Old April 14th 04, 02:17 AM
Dee D. Flint

"Bill Sohl" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Dee D. Flint" wrote in message

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message

Indeed, if we support the lowered power limits, and all, is there a
good argument for simply letting Novices on the air with no
requirements? Learn as they go?

- Mike KB3EIA -

If the new "Novice" or "Communicator" proposals get instituted, I will

tell
any beginning class that I teach that we are going to go all the way to
General. It won't be worth my time to teach otherwise.

Do you really believe that bringing in a new ham at the
proposed novice level isn't worth it?

My goal or objective would be to encourage
as many new people, especially kids, to get a novice license
and just see how it goes from there.

Cheers,
Bill K2UNK

It is worthwhile to encourage them to become a ham yes and I will do so.
But from the discussion of what is proposed to be on the "new novice" or
communicator tests, a one evening two hour session will do to cover the
material in more depth than they will need. I'm not going to set up a
single session one hour class. It's too much hassle to get a room, books,
etc for that. I would willingly tutor individuals at my home for that
license for a few hours but will not run a class for it. I'd set up the
class so the first week, we discuss that study guide which they will have
been asked to read in advance. We will discuss any questions that they may
have on it. The remaining class weeks would cover the material to go on to
General.

I want to bring new hams into the hobby but I'm simply not going to spend my
time teaching material that simple. Nothing against the people or even
really against the material. I simply expect a better return on my
investment of time. I will not get that teaching material aimed at the
elementary school level when I am teaching adults. To me the satisfaction
comes in seeing their faces light up when we've conquered a difficult
chapter.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE