Old April 14th 04, 02:34 AM
Dee D. Flint

"Jim Hampton" wrote in message
[snip]
While I have no problem with the elimination of Morse code, nor have I a
problem with an easy entry level license, I am rather perplexed with the
continued insistance that the tests are too hard. I am also somewhat
surprised at a free ride of either codeless techs or tech plusses being
moved to general. The only techs which got the free ride were the techs
from years ago who took the general theory. The only difference was the 5
words per minute vs the 13 words per minute of the general class license.
When the code requirement was dropped to 5 words per minute, the old techs
had already passed the entire exam for new general class licensees. Hmmmm
... come to think of it, they didn't get a 'free' ride - they passed the
same elements as newly issued general class licenses.

Just my thoughts ...

And keep in mind that that upgrade isn't exactly "free". They have to take
the time and energy to find or get the necessary proof of license, find a
test session, show up at said test session, and process the paperwork.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE