Old April 16th 04, 01:05 AM
Mike Coslo

Steve Robeson K4CAP wrote:

Subject: How to attract people to the Amateur Radio Service
From: Mike Coslo
Date: 4/13/2004 10:31 PM Central Standard Time
I've been here a few years now, and listened to a lot that has been
said and done.

I've come up with some ideas about how we might attract people to the
ARS. What I think will work, and what won't work.

What won't work:

B****, B####, B@@@@! There are a number of hams that have an amazing,
big chip on their shoulders. Everything is going to be the downfall of
Amateur radio. We eliminate Element one, and pretty soon we're all
worshiping Satan and registered Democrats. Yeah, that's a way to attract
new people! If your that unhappy, turn your license in and then you'll
finally be satisfied. But it's kind of like Abe Lincon said "people are
just about as happy as they make up their minds to be". Your anger is
your addiction.

Whew! I can put my hands on some Zoloft if ya want it, Mike! =)

(Just kidding...!)

Wayaaayyy too much coffee that day! 8^)

But I did have fun typing it!!

Personally, I don't care how hard we "recruit", I think Amateur Radio has
always attracted a certain few types of personalities and always will...Just
like some people like hang gliding, snow skiing, Scrabble, etc etc etc.

There will be the occassional "straggler" that picks up along the way, but
consider how many different "incentives" to become Amateurs there have been yet
the growth rate, other than in radio's early years, has rarely reached two
digits.

Another hobby of mine, Amateur Astronomy, is the same way. There are
people complaining that AA's are too old, that we need to get more
children interested in the hobby (disregarding the expense of a good
telescope that older folks have the discretionary funds for, and not too
many 8 year olds will be allowed out at night when the observing happens
to be good!)

I honestly believe that if we put a cupon in Popular Science offering an
all-privileges license for $20.00 plus the cupon, we'd STILL not see any
"marked" growth. Yes...there'd be an initial spurt...Just like all the other
"incentives" over the last 80 years, but that would be it.

Way to go Steve! you just messed up the end-game strategy for the NCTA's!

I think the only way to get an idea of what would get more folks into
Amateur Radio would be to do a "survey" in PopSci, Popular Mechanics, Popular
Communications, etc, and get a feel for what the REAL "John Q" thinks.

I think the ARRL's "Novice" idea is wasted time. QST itself has numerous
stories of Grade School and Junior High students who routinely pass all three
levels of licensure, so all they are doing is adding to the administrative
quagmire. Furthermore, if they'd take the hint from other Administrations and
just get past the code issue, there'd be no need for it (Novice).

I know. I could have passed the present test at a pretty young age, and
I'm nowhere near exceptional.

Perhaps they are trying to appeal to people that aren't interested?......

- Mike KB3EIA -