Old April 16th 04, 06:01 PM
William

Subject: How to attract people to the Amateur Radio Service
From: Mike Coslo

Date: 4/15/2004 7:05 PM Central Standard Time

Perhaps they are trying to appeal to people that aren't

interested?......

BINGO!

Here's a bit of interesting trivia...

Have you ever taken the time to stroll through "QRZ's" bios? If you do,
I think you'll notice that certain "hobbies" and career paths keep turning up.

A very large number make reference to flying, some type of active outdoor
sports (usually camping or hiking), participatioon as volunteer FD or EMS, or
active or retired career in the Armed Forces.

THERE'S where we need to be "recruiting"...In "FLYING" , "Emergency
Medical Services", the various military papers (NAVY Times, ARMY Times, AF
Times), "Field and Stream", etc. Throw the occassional ad into "Boy's Life",
and the science related magazines I noted earlier and a few (such as your
Astronomy field) that I am sure others can come up with.

Hmmmmm???

Steve, K4YZ

Steve, good point. Flying, RC model airplane, model rocketry, GPS,
any type of military or public service (LE, fire, EMS), but also
electronics hobbyists and careerists.

Not your usual skateboarders and glue sniffers.

bb