Old April 19th 04, 02:47 PM
Alun

(William) wrote in
m:

Alun wrote in message
. ..
"garigue" wrote in
newsJEgc.164828$K91.421193@attbi_s02:

I agree. FISTS has a hard-line stance in favor of Morse Code
testing.
The organization is supposed to be dedicated to OPERATING
Morse Code, not keeping the Morse Code requirement. The
leaders should have
either started a new organization dedicated to defending Morse
Code requirements or simply filed petitions on behalf of
themselves instead of on behalf of FISTS.

Jason Hsu, AG4DG

Why isn't NCI .......NCTI ....... Should have testing in
there as I have read repeatedly that the group is only against
testing ...... Oh well Back on 40 CW ....

73 KI3R Tom Popovic Belle Vernon Pa.

Why does a Morse/Farnsworth Code advocacy group use a symbol of
violence for their name?

Nope .....a symbol of anatomy used to describe a good CW op as in he
has a good fist .....which I have heard used repeatedly over the
years ...I guess it is a lot simpler to say that than ..... that
fellow can really coordinate the use of his thumb-middle and index
finger and his forearm to send good signals ......na .....I guess
it has degenerated into the pressing of a mike button to complain
about one's health problems or making bizarre noises either on
purpose or by some wildly compressed splattering signal to make up
for poor operating skill Oh BTW don't forget my 10-10 number. But
I guess that pounding brass is more violent than flapping one's jaw

73 KI3R Tom Popovic Belle Vernon Pa.

You really don't like phone do you? Nobody's forcing you to tune up to
the phone end of the band!

Definitely a phonaphobe!

If I recall my Morse Code instruction, you don't use your fist on the
key. You gently hold the knob between your between your thumb and
index (and middle) finger.

Ah well, it's all going away soon anyhow.

Already gone in Switzerland, the UK, Germany, Belgium, the Netherlands,
Norway, Papua Niugini, etc. Soon to go in France (awaiting a signature). It
will go here too when the FCC eventually gets it's act together.

And you're right, you aren't supposed to use your fist, but I suppose their
name does come from the 'good fist' expression.

We all have an agenda, I suppose. I happen to think it's just plain wrong
to force phone ops to learn code. And yes, we were forced. I had to learn
20wpm to get on the DX end of the phone subbands, and don't tell me I
'chose' to do that, 'cos I didn't.