Old May 1st 04, 10:28 PM
Dan/W4NTI

"William" wrote in message
om...
"Dan/W4NTI" w4nti@get rid of this mindspring.com wrote in message

link.net...
"William" wrote in message
om...
"Dan/W4NTI" w4nti@get rid of this mindspring.com wrote in message

link.net...
"Steve Robeson K4CAP" wrote in message
Subject: Morse and Contests
From: Mike Coslo
Date: 4/27/2004 7:34 AM Central Standard Time
Idly musing, I thought of this a few moments ago. It isn't a CW

testing

question, but is related by being a CW operating question.

With the likely demise of Morse code testing, is there any

reason to
have contests give double the points for Morse code contacts?

Sure...why not? It requires some REAL skill to do. In this

regard,
as in
any other pursuit in life, greater skill should be rewarded.

While of course all contest rules are inherently arbitrary, does

it
make sense to have one mode of contact be "more equal" than

others?

Not "more equal"...Just better compensation.

As a Nurse with my experience, credentials and skills, I

expect to
be
compensated accordiningly. So why not be "compensated" in a

contest
that
required using honed skills, too...?!?!

Put another way, if you think that CW contacts should be worth

double
points, is it fair to have say, PSK31 contacts worth the same

double
points such as in Field day? Our GOTA station racked up a fair

number
of
points operating PSK31, and it was certainly no more difficult

than
operating Phone.

And how long would it take a "new" Ham to master using a

keyboard?

I've seen a number of cases where a phone operator has worked

hard
and
logged a lot of QSO's, only to be beaten by a CW op with little

more
than half that number.

Shudda been on the paddles!

Seriously, though...Most contests differentiatemodes in

awards...

Steve, K4YZ

Simply stated....CW Contesting requires real skills. Digital

requires
the
ability to type.
Phone is way down there from the above requirements.

If you want to do so....Give phone 1 point, digital 2 points, and

CW 5
points per qso.

That's my opinion, and I'm sticking to it.

Dan/W4NTI

Your opinion looks wrong to me.

My opinion is that the point schedule should be inverted from what you
propose. I mean, when Aaron Jones was keeping the Morse Myths list,
it would appear that a CW QSO just couldn't fail. It always got
through, no matter the propogation, the power level, the QRN, or the
QRM. Each and every Op would QRS for the new guy and everything was
just so wonderful.

Meanwhile phone Ops practice dog-eat-dog, QRM each other, use bad
phonetics, and propogation is always iffy. Furthermore, they marry
their Technician sisters and don't even QSL.

Bass turds!

Give the phone ops 5 pts per completed QSO, the CW Ops get 1.

And what was your score in the last major DX contest?

Name the last Major DX contest.

Or lets make it
easier. How many DX QSO's have you had in a major contest....????

Don't recall. Go look it up in CQ. 1990 - 1991 time frame.

If under 300, you are disqualified from inputing on this discussioon.

Dan/W4NTI

Dan, you're wrong again. You don't speak for CQ Magazine nor the
ARRL, though it appears that you would like to.

The last major DX contest was the CQWWPXPhone. But what does that have to
do with what your saying?

I don't claim to represent anyone, other than myself. Again what does that
have to do with things?

I simply want to assertain your credibility.

Give me a callsign and I'll look you up. I don't think 'William' is valid
for a ham call.

Dan/W4NTI