Old February 16th 04, 04:54 AM
Ralph Mowery

"Drink" wrote in message
I've been studying for my Extra Class for a pretty long time now

(Sheesh!
A couple YEARS) and understand that the question pool has changed. No,

I'm
not interested in a question pool/cheat sheet. I want to make sure I
understand all the subject matter and pass the test. I have the "ARRL

Extra
Class License Manual" published in 2000 and want to continue studying with
it. Here's my question.
Since the question pool has changed, has the material changed? Should I
go buy the 8th printing to make sure I have a manual that focuses on newer
requirements?

Forget about learning anything from the question pool book. Just get the
new Q/A book and memorize the thing. If you want to learn things, got a
ARRL Handbook. I took the old advanced test and only read the answers once.
Took the old Extra test and never did read the Q/A book. I did have an
advantage of having a good electronics background andwas a ham for about 25
years before. Electronics don't change but the rules and frequencies do
change.

I have had to take many tests where I work for various things. One was on
refrigeration systems as required by the government. The company had about
20 of us in a cram session for a day and the next day we took the test. The
instructor made one statement the stuck with me. He said "that many of us
may know more about refrigeration than I do but we are going to learn the
answers the government wants". I know almost nothing about refrigeration,
but I did learn the rules for releasing freon in the atmosphere.