Old July 11th 03, 11:01 PM
Jim Kelley

W5DXP wrote:

Jim Kelley wrote:
Here's a quote from Born and Wolfe, pg. 48, talking about waves
encountering the interface between dense and less dense media:

"Although there is a field in the second medium, it is easy to see that
no energy flows across the boundary.

This is just another one of your *NET* energy statements.

Actually it's just a quote from an optics book describing, among other
things, how a field can cross a boundary without energy necessarily
flowing across it. It happens to be the same thing I've been trying to
explain to you.

I notice you didn't mention anything about photons dematerializing and
rematerializing over there. Give that one a try. :-)

I did, and no one objected. But we don't need quantum physics to
explain HF RF waves.

I searched the entire thread. Not one mention of photons
dematerializing or rematerializing.

Upon what
technical point do we still disagree? If the rearward-traveling
waves give up their energy to the two waves traveling in the
forward direction, the energy has changed direction, by definition.

Actually you have it backwards. If energy had been reflected, the
forward waves would have given up their energy to the reflected waves.
The reflected waves only give up their energy in a sense by not taking
it in the first place.

There is not enough energy in P1 and P2 to support Pfwd2. Constructive
interference energy must be added into Pfwd2.

P1 and P2 are the only terms in the equation, Cecil. Obviously they
have enough energy to produce the correct answer. But I know what you
are getting at, Cecil, and it is interesting. But the example Joseph
Legris gave you (the same one I described previously) should illustrate
for you the problem with what you are saying. It's apparent from that
example that energy from the lasers goes directly to the constructive
interference side without having to come from somewhere else (other than
the source). And it's also true that that only occurs when destructive
interference is also occurring elsewhere.

According to Hecht, that
constructive interference energy can only originate from destructive
interference.

What he's saying is that you can't have one without the other.

73, Jim AC6XG