Old May 17th 04, 02:30 AM
Mike Coslo

KØHB wrote:
The growth in numbers of Amateurs over the past decade has been
overwhelmingly via the Technician license. This segment of the Amateur
population does not seem highly attracted to ARRL membership, nor
affiliative with the "national association" nature of ARRL.

Therein lies the whole problem. Somewhere along the line Technicians
were left out of the mix. ARRL has tried some things. When I got my
Technician's license in '99, I received a nice introductory letter and
even a little magazine supplement with a project or two in it. But I
think even that is more oriented to Hams like myself, that intend to go
on in the hobby beyond Technician.

I agree with you that many of the Tech's help with the public service.
Many of the volunteers that help in events that I work are Technicians.

Rather than a "department", I would suggest that ARRL might have some
articles that relate to these folk.

I suppose that will P**s off some hams, but that's okay, they were
already that way.

I think the problem as you not it is a big part of ARRL wanting to give
the Tech's a free General license. I think they figure if the give 'm HF
access, they might join up.

Bad way to do it.....

- Mike KB3EIA -