Old May 17th 04, 11:44 PM
Alun

"Dan/W4NTI" w4nti@get rid of this mindspring.com wrote in
link.net:

"Robert Casey" wrote in message

You wish. I predict Element 1 will go.

Most people of limited drive and ambition will take that position.
Glad to see I have you placed in the right hole.

Dan/W4NTI

The way the FCC has talked about code lately, I doubt that they'd keep
it for
extra only vs just dumping it entirely. "Reduction of burden on the
VE's giving
the tests" and all that. Keeping it for extra means that VEs have to
keep and
maintain code test tapes.

Gee, ya really think so? And so what? Since when did the gobernmunt
give a hoot out of what the citizens want?

Dan/W4NTI

They don't, but the FCC is heavily into the concept of reducing the
regulatory burden by simplification of rules, a very Reaganesque idea.
Which is simpler, keeping a requirement for some licences only or making it
go away altogether? Abolishing Element 1 completely fits their philosophy,
and the alternative doesn't.

Of course, since the code tests are done by volunteers you could argue that
no money will be saved. Firstly, that won't stop them, and secondly, VEs
may be less likely to claim expenses if they don't have to buy code tapes,
so some paltry amount of money may in fact be saved.