Old May 19th 04, 03:25 PM
Mike Coslo

garigue wrote:
Of course, since the code tests are done by volunteers you could argue

that

no money will be saved. Firstly, that won't stop them, and secondly, VEs
may be less likely to claim expenses if they don't have to buy code tapes,
so some paltry amount of money may in fact be saved.

Na Alun don't worry about those expenses for code tapes or programs or 33
RPM records etc. There have been many a VE out there who has taken his
significant other out for a "night on the town" after a VE session. Why
would some guys drive for a hundred miles to "take" a test when tests are
locally offered ???

Zounds, Tom!!! I doubt that the proceeds from most tests would cover
much of a night out on the town, once the VEC gets it's cut. Then you
have the other VE's to split the booty with...... Heck, I doubt you
could eat at Arby's by the end of the malfeasance.

All endeavors have the occasional bad egg, but at every test I ever
attended - there were 4 of them - the VE's seemed as honest as can be,
plus some of them that I personally knew are in no doubt as to their
honesty.

And FWIW, I live in State College PA.

I took my Technician test in Williamsport, over an hour away.

I took my General test in Butler PA, a two hour + drive

I took my Element 1 test in State College PA (flunked it at Butler)

I took my Extra test at Lock Haven, around an hour drive.

Basically the reason that I traveled to the tests was because that was
where a test was taking place when I had the time to take the test.

- Mike KB3EIA