Old May 27th 04, 01:56 AM
Dee D. Flint

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message
N2EY wrote:
"Dan/W4NTI" w4nti@get rid of this mindspring.com wrote in message

hlink.net...

"Bert Craig" wrote in message
.net...

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message

If Pro CW Testing Amateurs a

Feet firmly planted in the past folks and elitist snobs......

Why wouldn't they WANT the Morse code testing eliminated so that they
could get on the air and only associate with like minded individuals?

Removing the test would be the ultimate filter.

- Mike KB3EIA -

That'll likely happen, Mike. If and when Element 1 is retained solely

for
the Extra, I suspect the Extra CW sub-bands will become a pretty

crowded
place. Kinda silly as those who won't (Not can't.) learn CW won't be on

any

CW sub-bands.

73 de Bert
WA2SI

I've been a Extra for 30 years now. I hardly ever operate in the

exclusive
subbands, either phone or cw. But here lately I have been.

I have no problem with leaving 50 khz per band for CW.

We don't have that now! On HF/MF, there are *no* CW-only subbands.

I think such subbands are a very good idea. Something like this:

CW-only subbands:

160 meters: 1800-1850 kHz
80 meters: 3500-3575 kHz
40 meters: 7000-7050 kHz
30 meters: 10100-10120 kHz
20 meters: 14000-14075 kHz
17 meters: 18068-18088 kHz
15 meters: 21000-21075 kHz
12 meters: 24890-24910 kHz
10 meters: 28000-28100 kHz

Bottom 25 kHz of 80/40/20/15 reserved for Extras. Rest is available to
all other classes of license. CW would still be legal outside these
subbands but observance of the subbands would be encouraged as good
operating practice.

Why not?

You'd think that such a move would be offered by at least some of the
nocodetest folks...

Sorry Jim, they are busy with trying to lower the test requirements
right now.

After all the Technicians are freebied up to General, they'll turn
their attentions to those pesky and annoying gentleman's agreements for
CW portions.

I'll bet you a pepperoni and cheese pizza that their bandplans will
look quite different than yours. Theirs will be much simpler!

The rationale will be that it is SO much trouble for people to keep
within bandplans that it is a big headache for hams to keep track of
where they are supposed to be. And why do those CW people get half our
bands anyhow?

The most amusing part will be when Carl and Bill show up with their
spin on how it *isn't* a spectrum grab.

But you know, I suspect that in the brave new world of
post-restructuring ARS, that the new hams will simply do squatters
rights on the bandplan. It's only an agreement, so what can we do if
they decide to work there?

I wonder when the first CW segment SSB contest will be held?

- Mike KB3EIA -

Mike, it sounds like you are confusing band plans and regulated segment
divistions. The HF bands have segments where only CW and data modes are
allowed by regulation. Phone and slow scan TV cannot be used at all in
those segments. However there is the "gentleman's agreement band plan"
layered on top of that. For example, in the CW/data portion, RTTY is
operated in certain segments by agreement. Up in the phone portions, the
SST enthusiasts operate in certain segments by agreement. If new hams try
to operate voice outside the voice segments on HF, they will not only be in
violation of the bandplans but will be in violation of FCC regulations,
which could cost them their licenses.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE