Old June 4th 04, 09:05 AM
Steve Robeson K4CAP

Subject: Call Area Etiquette
From: TeleTech
Date: 6/3/2004 10:49 PM Central Standard Time
I used to be active on the air about 12 years ago. I will be moving out of
my assigned call area. I'd like to get back on the air when I move.

What is the accepted practice relative to identifying the call area when
one has moved permanently, given that the FCC does not assign a new call
when one moves out of their area?

For example, if I was visiting W4 area from W3, I would identify as W3---
"portable W4" or W3---/W4. Do people put the /W4 on their QSL cards, etc?
Is this a big deal these days?

Thanks.

Greetings, and welcome back.

Unfortunately too few folks still observe the call districts in thier
callsigns. Thier "point" is that ""...I don't HAVE to do it, so I won't...".
The requirement to identify which area you ae operating from was dropped quite
a long time ago.

I am a "4" living in 4-land, but when I still had my 8 call, I always
signed "/4" on CW or stated "mobile" or "portable" on phone. I don't like it
when I am looking for a specific area only to find out that the "W1" I just
called is actually in in San Francisco.

Some contests (and of course, Field Day) require it, but that's just for
the contest rules, not "regulations".

Hope to catch you on the air some day.

73

Steve, K4YZ