Old June 5th 04, 01:01 AM
Keyboard In The Noise

My 2 cents -- When DXing give your present district as a cw slash or on
phone -- slant district. Folks calling you want to know where you are at.

In a DX pileup calling by district -- same as above and call when the DX
station calls for the district you are in. Some DX stations get very upset
when they call for sixes and a Ham in NY calls who has a 6 call

When operating a repeater that is in your home area -- no need for the
/district -- folks will know you are local.

When travelling or a visit away from your home state -- give a /district so
folks know you are a visitor and might invite you to some Ham activities or
assist with directions etc.

When on 6M and no skip --- just your call

For 6M skip give the /district you are in. I've called several W1 and W2's
only to find they were in a western state. Not good for WAS hunting and band
openings can be very short

For QSL cards a /district would be in order so the incoming ARRL burro cards
will go to your present district. Some QSL cards may not include the
/district and the card will go to the old district -- best have envelopes in
both districts I would suppose.

Keyboard In The Noise

Opinions are the cheapest commodities in the world. Author unknown but
"right on"

"TeleTech" wrote in message
.. .
I used to be active on the air about 12 years ago. I will be moving out

of
my assigned call area. I'd like to get back on the air when I move.

What is the accepted practice relative to identifying the call area when
one has moved permanently, given that the FCC does not assign a new call
when one moves out of their area?

For example, if I was visiting W4 area from W3, I would identify as

W3---
"portable W4" or W3---/W4. Do people put the /W4 on their QSL cards,

etc?
Is this a big deal these days?

Thanks.

--
NOTE: To reply, DELETE the obvious word in my e-mail address you need to
DELETE in order to reply.