Old February 17th 04, 11:13 PM
Cecil Moore

bb wrote:
First... what is phasing of verticals.

Essentially the same as phasing of horizontal elements. If you turn
a 40m horizontal Yagi on it's side and bury half of it under a good
ground plane, you have a vertical beam.

My 40 m dipole is only 30' up...would vertical phasing be an
improvement?

Maybe, maybe not. At my QTH, the vertical noise is 2 s-units higher
than the horizontal noise rendering any vertical antenna virtually
unusable. No vertical that I have ever tried could overcome that
-10 dB disadvantage. But your QTH could be entirely different from
mine. It is possible, but not likely, that your vertical noise is
lower than your horizontal noise.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp