Old June 9th 04, 05:10 PM
KØHB

"Keyboard In The Noise" wrote in message

Had an inquiry that sed his Dad's call was W10XEG

Before 1946 -- I think there were just call areas one thru nine.

Sometime around 1946, the 10th call area was established -- the zero
district, but was this ever the W10 area ??

No, the FCC never routinely issued amateur calls with "10" as the
numeric portion.

However, when ITU held their plenipot meeting here in 1998, we were
assigned the special-event calls N98ITU and W98ITU. Those are the only
examples I know which included two numeric characters in a US amateur
callsign.

Also the X in the suffix -- I thought was for experimental stations

???

Our company holds several experimental (non-amateur) callsigns in the
WB2X-- and KA6X-- formats. These callsigns are assigned from the
KA2XAA-KZ9XZZ and WA2XAA-WZ9XZZ 2x3 blocks which are not assigned to
amateurs. Note that amateurs **can** get calls with an "X" as the
leading character in the suffix any other call format (ie, W9XAA, K2XA,
WA2XA, etc.) or with a "1" or "0" numeric character (ie, KA0XAA,
WB1XAA).

73, de Hans, K0HB