Old June 11th 04, 04:59 AM
Alun

"Keyboard In The Noise" wrote in news:%a6yc.37193$tI2.19197
@fed1read07:

The police and other civil entities used many different variants across
country
From URL:
http://www.bckelk.uklinux.net/phon.full.html

Used by police in New York City:

Adam Boy Charlie David Edward Frank George Henry Ida John
King Lincoln Mary Nora Ocean Peter Queen Robert Sam Tom
Union Victor William X-ray Young Zebra

[Variants: Eddie Larry Nancy Thomas Yankee Yellow]

Used by police in Nassau County, Long Island, New York:

Adam Boston Chicago Denver Edward Frank George Henry Ida
John King Lincoln Mary Nancy Ocean Peter Queen Robert Sam
Thomas Union Victor William X-ray Young Zebra

Used by police in San Diego, California:

Adam Boy Charles David Edward Frank George Henry Ida John
King Lincoln Mary Nora Ocean Paul Queen Robert Sam Tom Unit
Victor William Xray Yellow Zebra
--
Keyboard In The Noise

Opinions are the cheapest commodities in the world. Author unknown but
"right on"

-------------------------------------
Don't the police and other services use the APCO phonetics?

There's only one correct international set of phonetics -

Alpha Bravo Charlie Delta Echo Foxtrot Golf Hotel India Juliet Kilo Lima
Mike Novenber Oscar Papa Quebec Romeo Sierra Tango Uniform Victor Whisky X-
ray Yankee Zulu

I have a P at the end of my US call, and that is the one letter that causes
me problems. Papa is supposed to be pronounced the British way, not the
American way, so as to be correct (don't blame me, all the phonetics have
only one official pronounciation, and that happens to be it). As a Brit
operating from America, I find that when I do so, people copy it as
'Japan', hence converting my call from N3KIP to N3KIJ in the mind of the
DX.

Now, I understand that anyone is free to use whatever phonetics they like,
but 'Japan' is a bad one, as it sounds too much like the official way of
saying 'Papa', at least through QRM, although not like the way Americans
say it. Unfortunately it is common to use country names as phonetics. No
doubt 'Papa' was a bad choice originally, as there is more than one way of
saying it, but I can't do much about that.

I have tried using 'Pacific' or 'Peter', both of which seem to be common. I
have also tried saying 'Papa' the American way, although there is
considerable irony in that, i.e. for me that is both putting on a foreign
accent and departing from the official way of saying it, which happens to
be the way that is natural for me to begin with!