Old June 11th 04, 10:28 PM
Richard L. Tannehill

Keyboard In The Noise wrote:

The originator of the W10XEG question supplies the following new info:

Actually, the W10 call is most likely a commercial call. There were several
'repeaters' that were used very early in the establishment of the radio, and
then commercial television networks - it may be one of those. The X is for
experimental, no doubt. My Dad was very active with RCA very early on. The
first experimental TV signals in NYC were on 21 MHz, broadcast from the
Empire State Bldg - my Dad was chief engineer for the transmitter. One of
the many experimental transmitters he put on the air was W10XEG - I just
have no data about it at all.

--
Keyboard In The Noise

Opinions are the cheapest commodities in the world. Author unknown but
"right on"

I had heard that the early "Channel 1" TV stations in NY and
Chicago were in part of the later 6M amateur band; 48-54 MHz
if I remember correctly. That is why there is no TV Channel
1 today. After WWII, the 6 M band was carved out about the
time the VHF TV channels were allocated. Do you have any
hard info about the use of 21 MHz for TV Ch-1?

Rick Tannehill
W7RT