Old June 14th 04, 02:18 AM
Mike Coslo

Dee D. Flint wrote:
"Mike Coslo" wrote in message

Da Shadow wrote:

But there are strong recommendations from the various Amateur Radio

Socities

that you do.

And I have heard many times in pile-ups --- ITU Phonetics only and some

DX

operators won't answer you with any other phonetics.

--
Lamont Cranston

Wow, it must be something for these "operators" to be so anal! If a
person only answers me because I speak a certain way, then I'll forgo
their blessed contact.

- Mike KB3EIA -

There's often quite a good reason for it. Many DX stations only have a
minimal grasp of English and departing from the ICAO phonetics can cause
them real problems in getting the call sign correct.

Do they really have that bad a grasp, I wonder? Language barrier would
argue in favor of the "country" type phonetics instead of the ICAU
versions. In the short time I have been a ham, I have made use of the
languages I have learned in the past, and worked at picking up others. I
sure as anything would work hard at picking up English if I was planning
on working DX.

p.s. no Anglo-centrism here - I would pick up Swahili if need be.

In addition, if everyone is using the same phonetics, the brain becomes
trained to them and can pick it out even if mispronounced, heavily accented,
or incompletely heard due to noise or interference.

- Mike KB3EIA -