Old June 14th 04, 03:00 AM
Alun

"Dee D. Flint" wrote in
:

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message

Ryan, KC8PMX wrote:

If not required by laws or rules, then it is required out of some
level of operational courtesy though.

Ryan
KC8PMX

I prefer that people simply say their callsign to me. Phonetics annoy
me mostly. When they use their phonetics, are they practicing courtesy
to me?

- Mike KB3EIA -

I find that people have a high error percentage in getting my call
correct even with a clear, strong FM signal unless I give it at least
once phonetically. While my call is N8UZE, the Z is frequently
repeated back to me as B, C, D, G, P, T, or V. The only people who
don't make that mistake are those who have known me for a while and are
familiar with my call.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Likewise, without phonetics my call is often copied as N3KRP or N3KAP
instead of N3KIP. Unfortunately, using international phonetics my November
3 Kilo India Papa is often copied as November 3 Kilo India Japan (see the
argument above with Hans who favours the alternate set that uses Japan
instead of Juliet).