Old June 14th 04, 05:15 AM
Mike Coslo

Phil Kane wrote:

On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 17:52:22 -0400, Mike Coslo wrote:

I prefer that people simply say their callsign to me. Phonetics annoy
me mostly. When they use their phonetics, are they practicing courtesy
to me?

We have an individual (respected old-timer at that) who, when he
takes his turn-in-the-barrel as net control of our daily ARES/RACES
check-in, gets confused over people's call signs regardless of
whether phonetics are used or not, and even if one identifies with
phonetics, he will acknowledge with some ad-hoc inconsistent mixture
of ITU, old military, and old telco (cities) phonetics.

For one, it drives me nuts even though he's a nice guy.

And on another score, the last letter in my call is "P", and how can
"pa-PA" - or even the popular pronunciation "poppuh" be confused with
"Japan" ??

pa-PA could under some circumstances sound a teeny bit like Japan if
some one pronounced it Jaw-pawn. Who would do that, I'm not sure.

- Mike KB3EIA -