Old June 21st 04, 03:52 AM
Mike Coslo

N2EY wrote:
In article , Mike Coslo
writes:

N2EY wrote:

In article , JJ
writes:

Now we will see if the FCC will abide by their own part 15 rules and
shut BPL down until when/if the problem is fixed. Anyone want to bet
they don't?

No.

I think/hope what will really kill BPL is economics. It simply won't be
able to compete with DSL, cable and other technologies.

So many times in history, Ideology has chosen to ignore everything but
that ideology's belief. That is one of the reasons that idealogs hate
science.

Yep.

They also choose to ignore the past, which is why they also hate history. You
see this in their cries of "Luddite" and "we're in a new era now" and "stop
living in the past".

As absurd as it may seem, the BPL push is part of current ideology.

Part of *some people's* current ideology.

And it may be more of a question of expediency than ideology.

The recent boom-dot-bust mess hit a lot of folks hard. While the economy slowly
recovers and unemployment drops, a lot of good (read "manufacturing jobs with
decent pay and benefits") jobs are being replaced by "service economy" jobs
(read "do you want fries with that?").

C'mon, Jim! Burger flippin' is going to be moved from "service" to
"manufacturing"

With the election only months away, the incumbents want to be seen as doing and
supporting things that will result in more "good" jobs and start another
technoboom. The reality won't hit for at least a year, at which time it can be
blamed on the "liberals" and the "antenna huggers" and such.

Repeat after me:

All problems are the fault of Liberals...
All problems are the fault of Liberals....
All problems are the fault of Liberals...

It's great. As long as you can blame everything on the dreaded liberal,
you are absolved of any blame yourself. I personally know perhaps 1500
people. Maybe only 5 or 6 are actual Liberals. And no one that thinks
like they do has been running the show in a long time. How did they get
such power to make all the problems in the world?

As such, as long as the current ideology is in place, BPL WILL HAPPEN!

It's already in service at a few sites. The direct result of people wanting
"less regulation" and "get the government off our backs".

Actually, it's just a different group making the regulations. The
golden rule, as it were.

Once
it comes up against science and laws of nature, as well as the
marketplace, it will quite simply fail.

I hope so.

Hey, just to insert something good into this depressing topic, Mike
Melville has been tapped to pilot Burt Rutan's SpaceshipOne tomorrow at
0630 PDT. If successful and he reaches suborbital flight, this will be
just about as cool an event as I've seen in years.

CNN is covering the event. Dunno why Fox isn't. Seems like private
spaceflight would be right up their alley. Maybe Burt is a Leeberal? ;^)

- Mike KB3EIA -