Old June 22nd 04, 02:47 AM
Dee D. Flint

"Steve Robeson K4CAP" wrote in message
Subject: BPL - UPLC -Repeat the lie three times and claim it for

truth
From: "Jim Hampton"
Date: 6/21/2004 11:30 AM Central Standard Time
Steve,

I have no problem with someone being rich; I have a problem when I pay a
higher percentage of my pay to taxes than they do.

Just because some people are able to abuse the system, this doesn't mean
everyone can succeed in doing so. There are some corrupt individuals at
every level of society. It wasn't so many years ago when welfare fraud was
making the news on a regular basis.

If you will check the IRS data, you will find that people in the top 5% of
income provide over 50% of the income tax revenue collected by the
government. The top 1% pay over 1/3 of the income taxes collected. The
bottom 50% of the people pay less than 4% of the total tax revenues
collected.

This is hardly letting the rich not pay. The ones who slip through the
cracks or find ways to avoid paying are not representative. Unfortunately,
they are news so we only hear the bad stuff.

But who generates the economic base, Jim?

You and I? I don't know you beyond this forum, of course, and you

very
well may be a business owner for all I know. But very, VERY few of those
"rich" are what we would call "idle rich". They got that way because of
businesses they ran, which means people they employed, products they sold

or
services they delivered.

Please don't tell me you are so naive that you think that the wealthy

always
pay a higher percentage in taxes.

There's always people who find ways around the system that does not mean
they all do. To single out the rich smack based on a few frauds smacks of
class envy just as much as denigrating the poor because some of committed
welfare fraud smacks of prejudice.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE