Old June 23rd 04, 08:14 PM
N2EY

Mike Coslo wrote in message ...
Da Shadow wrote:

400 GOTA QSOs seems a bit high considering we will try and teach newbies how
to operate. I think it is more important to tutor folks on HF and the
digital modes than to run the 400 QSOs. Perhaps we can do both.

It is high. The nice thing about the GOTA is that newbies and the
inexperienced can hone their skills without affecting the more seasoned
operators. My first field day was before the days of GOTA, and I knew
very well that I was holding the score down a bit with my slowness. GOTA
removes that. It's a great way to get started or get back in action.

I agree 100% on the purpose of GOTA but I think you guys both
misunderstand this rule:

"4.1.1.5. A maximum of 400 QSOs made by this station may be claimed
for
credit by its primary Field Day operation. A 100-point bonus may be
claimed
by the primary Field Day operation if the GOTA station reaches the 100
QSO
level."

The GOTA station is limited to a *maximum* of 400 QSOs. You cannot
count GOTA QSOs for credit beyond 400.

I think the reason for this rule, and the very loose definition of who
can run the GOTA station, is to keep the GOTA stations busy yet
focused on the truly inexperienced.

If you work *at least* 100 GOTA QSOs, you get 100 additional points
beyond the QSO points themselves.

So the strategy is to work exactly 400 GOTA QSOs. That's less than 17
per hour if you go straight through. 17 per hour is more than 3
minutes per QSO.

The big problem with the GOTA station in a 5F group is interference.
It's bad enough when two stations of different modes try to use the
same band at the same time, but when the GOTA folks show up on the
same band....

Of course there are rigs and techniques that can handle all that RF.
But that's another subject...

73 es GL de Jim, N2EY