Old June 24th 04, 05:05 AM
Len Over 21

In article ,
(William) writes:

(Len Over 21) wrote in message
In article ,

(Brian Kelly) writes:

(N2EY) wrote in message
In article ,

(Brian Kelly) writes:

(N2EY) wrote in message

and I mention that
the U.S. military quit using manual telegraphy for fixed-point
communications in 1948.

They did? Everywhere?

Or did they simply start phasing it out in 1948?

And what about non-fixed-point communications, such as between

ships?

And what about the CW courses still being taught at Fort
Huncha-something somewhere in the southwest? Ohyez, the feds still
have an abiding and ongoing interest in the use of CW.

That's for intel intercept. Listening to others use it, and maybe some
spoofing
and such.

Sure, they'd be grossly negligent if they didn't. I'll just bet that
Osama Baby has at least looked at CW for his purposes and that since
9/11 our guys have ramped up their volume of poking around for it. So
yes, the feds certainly do have an ongoing and abiding interest in the
use of CW, one-way for their purposes and/or otherwise.

Kelly, unable to admit what is happening since his bear-shooting
days as King of the Katapults, manufactures "knowing analyses"
of terrorists.

He be the intelligence failure...

Kelly the putz-caller seems to forget a well-publicized video bite
of Osama bin Laden rather obviously using a hand-held transceiver
in earlier days. No code key was evident in that video bite seen
on major networks.

Dammit! And I thought all the important guys carried cell phones.

Kelly has NO information on "ramping up" on-off keying codes by
the U.S. government or anyone else. The Military Intelligence
School at Fort Huachuca has been active for years. All U.S.
government agencies involved in any way use that M.I. Center,
including those few needing any sort of skills with on-off codings
such as morse. That as an economic consideration, not any sort
of technical reason or alleged "importance of morse."

Reference: Fort Huachuca public affairs office.

Nice. The Fort WhaChewKah PA Office had to spell it out for those
that are smitten by the myth. I can only imagine all of the telephone
calls and letters from all of the morseodists that couldn't believe
that morse code was not at the crux of modern communications for them
to have to put such a notice in their publications.

However, amateur radio isn't the military. We don't have the same

mission -
or
the same resources.

Even if we did I wouldn't go anywhere near it.

Why not?

"Sorry Hans, MARS IS amateur radio!" True or not true?

From someone "shooting bears for naval intelligence" and bragging
about "dining with the [aircraft carrier] captain," that sounds hollow.

You know he has to remain silent on the "Sorry Hans, MARS IS
Amateur Radio" issue. Wouldn't be PCTA if he didn't.

So, some olde-tyme hamme can say he "shot bears for navel
intelligence" and that be okay. Navel intel is fine as long as
person is for morse code.

Do you mean the pictures taken by W3RV? Guess what - they're real.

Like
it
or
not, civilian contractors do go out on US Navy ships. And they do

see
-
and
photograph - some pretty unusual stuff.

Har, I forgot about that, you did see some of those shots I took
didn't ya?

Yep. Some of them. Quite impressive, actually, both the photography and

the
subject.

Geez that pile of old photos was a real trip back huh?

Oyez.

Gotta love the way the Putz has twisted 'em into "Naval intel" BS.

Bad pun of "navel" noted.

Another example of the Putz in his seven-yer-old mode. Which he
consistently drops into when he can't find an adult comment to post.

I have no problem being "adult" - even around children and the
immature. :-)

When I find some PCTA who are not children in here, I might alter
posting style.

Best of Luck.

No
such thing, they were typical on-the-road personal unclassified
snapshots and I never claimed otherwise.

That's true!

Every time the Soviets buzzed a carrier it became a tourist event,
bloomin' hoot. Kodak could have made money with a flight deck photo
processing kiosk after those flybys.

More "tales of the South Pacific?" :-)

I hope it's a musical.

I wasn't a contractor, I was a direct employee of the U.S. Department
of Defense and an offical civilian guest of the skipper while I was
aboard.

Always nice to be friends with the guy in charge.

Nah, it was just another bit of Naval tradition, DoD civilian
professionals were treated as officers and were expected to
reciprocate the courtesies received. I had to introduce myself to both
the skipper and the air boss and join them for dinner in officer's
mess on Friday evenings, etc. I knew nothing about any of it when I
logged aboard the first time. A crusty Chief Yeoman sat me down in his
office and went thru the list of what I had to do and not do.

Good ol' crusty chiefs. :-)

So, the dinner table talk was all about ham radio, morse, and
establishing valid QSLs for DXCC? :-)

Or did the talk involve ANY radio communications?

Rubber Band Man. I just knew it would be a musical.

The Putz never managed to be either, his types did my drudge
work for me for cheap. Steerage dwellers.

Of course such activities are also irrelevant to amateur radio

policy.

End of.

roger that!

73 de Jim, N2EY

Another installment of "Tales of The South Pacific" by the ancient
mariner-guest king of the katapults schmoosing with captains of
aircraft carriers. Real involvement with amateur radio! Not...

LHA / WMD

Hey, how else could he earn his GI Bill?

He got a GI bill? Did he buy something from a GI?

A naval intelligence bear-shooter's camera?

:-)

LHA / WMD