Old February 20th 04, 02:31 AM
Art Unwin KB9MZ

Cecil Moore wrote in message ...
Mikey wrote:
Yes, phased verticals will outperform a dipole.

Some phased verticals will outperform a dipole, depending upon how one
defines "outperform". A dipole at a decent height can have a 7 dB gain
over a 1/4 WL monopole. A two-element phased vertical cannot equal that
figure over average ground. Reference: Fig 10, Chapter 8, The ARRL Antenna
Book, 15th edition. The maximum gain figure for a two-element phased vertical
is 4.7 dB over a 1/4 WL monopole. The average is about 3 dB depending on
spacing and phasing. That same graphic is Fig 11, Chapter 8, on the ARRL
Antenna Book CD, ver 2.0.

EZNEC sez my simple 130 ft. dipole at 40 ft. has a gain of 10.8 dBi on
10m with a take-off-angle of 12 degrees. It would take quite a vertical
array to equal that. (Then I would have to somehow overcome a +10 dB
vertically polarized noise level. :-)

Cecil, It is extremely hard to follow this thread as many comparisons
are vague i.e. frequency, length of antenna e.t.c.
You are not helping things when you talk of a 130 foot dipole and its
use on ten meters. I think calling that antenna a dipole is misleading
to say the least
For ten meters I would call it something more than a dipole.
To talk of a simple dipole having 10 db gain on this group is more
than misleading it is an attempt to confuse.
Can you imagine me entering the 160 metre discussion and discussing my
collinear dipole in the vertical position as just
a "simple " dipole and with no buried ground plane at that? If you are
going to continue to compare antennas then the info must be factual
and completely comparible or you do not have a legit comparison. I
came in late but I read all the postings on this thread and the
comparisons are all over the place and hard to follow, so back to what
I was doing which is more productive.
Have fun, will pop back later when the postings get to over 200.
Art