Old August 3rd 03, 07:38 AM
Jimmy

"Art Unwin KB9MZ" wrote in message
. ..
W5DXP wrote in message

Jimmy wrote:
I would suggest that anyone that strapped for cash use transmission

line
segments for impedance matching. That is about as cheap as it gets.

Yep, I bought an SGC-500 amp and didn't want to spring for a high power
tuner. So I vary my window-line length to obtain a match.

Cecil, the idea that you have is quite unique but I was thinking
of the newby ham. To capture the future hams of tomorrow we must
enable them to get them on the air as quickly and cheaply as
possible and not dissuade them in any way as to how much they
will be paying in the future, and that is where my thoughts lie.
If a newcomer is to put up a G5RV so that he can get on the
air quickly,I thought that buying a RF transformer would be a
quick way of getting on the air and getting the taste for ham radio.
To be honest Cecil no newby is going to struggle with your method
in his early days.
If one could arrange a way to run thru a series of impedance ratio's
with just one knob then we have hooked those who are curious, even
when using the most plainess of wires or the gutter we have fed the
mind, remote control systems can come later. Frankly when you are
hooked by ham radio money ceases to become an issue.
Art

Actually I would think a newbie would be the one most likely to embrace
Cecil's method. Its the guys who have been around a while who want
everything controlled at their armchair(like me). This is not to say that
Cecils method could not be controoled from the shack, Just replace some of
those switches with relays and maybe make some custum impedance feedline for
even a better match that what he shows though you dont really need it. This
sort of setup could even be controlled by a lot of radios that provide for a
means of automatic antenna switching.