Old July 14th 04, 10:00 PM
N2EY

"Tony Viglio" wrote in message ...
If you been in a radio club, you've seen your share of characters.
Ham radio has no shortage of all types of personalities.

Ever see this guy before? He just joined our club.

Oh yes. Once in a great while somebody like that shows up. Sometimes
they do it on a larger scale than the local club - Wayne Green is a
prime example.

Comes to first meeting. It's pretty obvious he's is the hyperactive
overbearing type, talks constantly & loudly, dominates the discussion.
Says he quit such & such club because "they didn't like this and didn't
want to do that, they were a bunch of losers." Shows up second
meeting & proposes all sorts of changes to what the club has been
doing, wants to start this & do that, & go here and there. Volunteers
to head up all the committees, wants to bring in outside speakers
that will offer this or that to the club members. (The outside speakers
are family members or buddies of his). Does the majority of speaking
at the meeting. Again, makes mention of how his last club was a
bunch of losers and how happy he is to be a member of this great
club! At his third club meeting, he does ALL the talking and is the
center of attention. Some club members say they like him, others
remain silent. Can't wait to see what happens at the fourth meeting
with this guy. We're betting he will run the entire meeting himself.

Does your club have officers and a formal agenda?

The trick is to let him actually *do* something. Let him bring in the
speakers or run the committees.

A. I see our club breaking up, because some will agree with this
guy and others will want no part of him.

Give him a chance to show what he can do.

B. I see this guy being challenged and told to shut up, which will
probably result in him leaving our club, since we're all "losers."

The trick is to give him an outlet for his energy.

Have you seen this guy before? Has he come to your club meetings?

He's nothing new. In the "Rotten Radio" stories of 80+ years ago
"T.O.M." describes the cast of characters at most radio club meetings.
Your new guy sounds like "Final Authority".

Put him in charge of getting a speaker and see what happens.

73 de Jim, N2EY