Old July 15th 04, 05:09 PM
Steve Robeson K4CAP

Subject: FCC Morse testing at 16 and 20 WPM
From: (Geoffrey S. Mendelson)
Date: 7/15/2004 10:16 AM Central Standard Time
In article , Len Over 21 wrote:

AMATEUR radio long ago CEASED to be a "pool of experienced morse
operators" for any national need. The nation does NOT need morse
operators, haven't for a long time.

That's an intresting point. 9/11 showed the need still exists for
experienced radio operators who can communicate under pressure.
Morde code is no longer necessary, but a clear voice, understanding
a phonetic alphabet, etc is.

Geoffrey, you'll notice Lennie interjected "morse" operators, although he
does take great liberties with trying to discredit Amatueur Radio at any
opportunity.

Additionally he was in error that stating that "Amateur radio long ago
ceased to be a "pool of experienced morse operators" for any national need."

Indeed Amateur Radio is the ONLY pool of Morse capable radio operators
remaining, the very small contingent of military and SIGINT operators not
withstanding.

Having a pool of responsable well trained and practiced radio operators
is still needed. They get that training on VHF/UHF repeaters, not operating
morse on HF or contests, etc.

That's why they are spending tons of bucks on the Emergency Communicators
course. Also, here in Tennessee, funds were allocated to equip EVERY hospital
in Tennessee with at least one VHF/UHF and one HF transceiver, along with funds
to get folks qualified to use them. I don't know if that program is a TN-only
program or not.

Skills leared from contests are helpful, such as being able to dig a specific
signal out of the QRM and noise, etc, but the majority of operators don't
need it.

And as much as being able to pull "the weak ones" out is a plus, ACCURACY
is more important...That's why contests ding you if you miscopy an exchange.
Those skills are collateral benefits to emergency communications...Lennie's
uninformed opinion and ranting to the contrary.

Just face the reality of the matter. Morsemen got their little CW
playground and should be happy. Professional communicators they
ain't, even if they want, desperately, to be oh, so very pro.

That's about it. If they want to keep morse active, they should encourage it,
not discourage it. How many hams are on the air that say that they learned
morse code for the license and haven't used it since?

If what Lennie is is being "pro", then I dare say we should take some
EXTRA pride in NOT being "pro" ! ! ! !

Len Anderson has absolutely ZERO experience in emergency communications,
save for what he cuts-and-pastes about CA's ACS system and MARS. No experience
as an Amateur operator, none in any capacity with any civil or federal program.
He is not a licensed Amateur, nor is he in any other program affilitated with
emergency communications, MARS included.

I never thought I'd say that about myself, but unfortuntely it is true.
I've tried to get my speed back up to something reasonable and expect
that it would take an hour a day for at least a month.

In regards to emergency uses, Geoffrey, it's irrelevent. It's nice to
have, especially for health and welfare trafficing, but otherwise not
necessary.

People who work 9-5 5 days a week may actually be able to do it. I don't
(more like noon (or eariler) to 3am).

Sure you can! Just one or two QSO's a day will get your speed up in no
time, regadless of when you work! I work 7P to 7A three to five days a week,
and I am able to KEEP my speed above 20WPM with little effort.

73

Steve, K4YZ