Old July 16th 04, 11:02 PM
Len Over 21

In article , PAMNO
(N2EY) writes:

In article ,

(Len Over 21) writes:

In article , "Dee D. Flint" Mama Dee
speaking to her children writes:

"N2EY" wrote in message
In article , Robert Casey
writes:

Hams - old and new - didn't change the exam procedures. Neither did
ARRL, NCI, NCVEC or any other ham group. FCC did, because it saved
them resources.

We aren't going to a system other than multiple-choice
published-Q&A-pool exams in the foreseeable future. Just not gonna
happen.

ANd then there's the question of what knowledge should be expected from
applicants anyway. Does it really require more knowledge and skill to
operate on 14.167 vs 14.344?

More spectrum is simply the reward system in use. It was chosen in large

part
because it's easy to enforce.

Not only was it easy to enforce but it was selected because it was a
desireable enough reward that people would put in the training to get it.

Utter nonsense, Mama Dee. Spin-like rationalization.

That's a good description of what you post here, Len ;-) ;-) ;-)

Only to the PCTA.

The PCTA live for such spin. They try to literally live it.

AMATEUR radio is a hobby, not a national service, not an arm of the
United States Navy or the rest of the military, and not a public safety
organization. Just a hobby involving radio.

It's not "just a hobby".

For some it IS a lifestyle. Their problem, not the governments.

So, amateur radio is NOT a hobby?

Prove its vital need to the nation as a national service or an arm of
the military or a public safety organization.

The FCC hasn't proved that. Only the ham-lifestylers try to prove
that. They NEED the rationalization.

But even if it were, what's the difference? If something is "just a hobby",
does that mean there should be no standards, no training, no rules?

Tsk, tsk. Arguing to extemes again?

The FCC isn't chartered to do "training" for radio hams.

The FCC doesn't really "set standards," only sets regulations.

AMATEUR radio long ago CEASED to be a "pool of experienced morse
operators" for any national need.

When did it cease, Len?

Long ago. :-)

Find all the military morsemen "needs" you can. That be easy, as
there are no such needs.

Find all the commercial communications services you can, count
the "needs" for morsemen. Very few and those be on the Great
Lakes shipping.

And here's a fun fact: The Basis and Purpose never used the phrase
"experienced
morse operators". Just "experienced operators" - no mention of modes.

The nation does NOT need morse operators, haven't for a long time.

How long?

Long time. :-)

Most rewards in the real world have little relationship to the work
requested.

More spin crappola.

Well, at least you're honest about your content ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-)

Tsk, tsk. Not nice. Rather nasty comment for a portentious
revered one of the Great Gurus of the newsgrope.

The influential morsemen at the League
managed to carve out a separate little morse playground for
themselves with all sorts of fatuous phrases of "national need" and
"importance of a pool of trained operators" and the FCC caved in
to their demands.

When was this? And in what alternate universe?

In the present universe.

Those who are busy spinning can't believe it.

The "pool of trained operators" thing came from FCC, not ARRL.

No kidding? I thought you thought the ARRL regulated all
things in ham radio.

Learn somethin' every day! Sunnuvagun!

You see it in the home too. Kid asks, "Dad can I borrow the
car?" Parent replies, "After you mow the front & back lawn and run the
edger." There is absolutely no relationship between the two activities.
The kid gets a highly desired reward for work that he/she probably doesn't
care to do but does it anyway to get the reward.

So, the League is a surrogate parent?!? I don't think so.

How many kids have you raised, Len?

On July 4th, two of them. :-)

What? Everyone applying for a ham license nowadays have to
bring a medical certificate for a sperm count?!?

Do they have to show birth certificates of their offspring too?

My word, the rules have really become tuff!

Are all the Amateur Extras surrogate parents now? I don't think so.

You aren't.

Haven't pretended to be, Rev. Jim.

You ARE going to misdirect into some "parenting" argument, aren't
you? [your sort of newsgrope tactic]

Dee, quit this infernal nattering about "parentage" and ham radio.

Why, Len? Because it's really quite an accurate analogy?

Who said it is "accurate?"

You ham lifestylers really get too, too deep into it.

Quit trying to sound off like you've got an influential pair.

Pair of what, Len?

Brain halves.

You aren't
a radioactive au pair and this ain't the Children's Hour (even is some of
the other extras act like children).

The most childish performance I see here is yours, Len.

Then you don't see at all well. Visit an eye doctor for a checkup.

Poor baby. I upset your little session with butt-in buddy, the
Stalker?

Just face the reality of the matter. Morsemen got their little CW
playground and should be happy.

What *are* you talking about, Len?

The LOWER parts of the HF bands.

Professional communicators they
ain't, even if they want, desperately, to be oh, so very pro.

If you're an example of "professional communicator", than I'm glad to be an
amateur.

You are NOT a professional communicator.

LHA / WMD