Old July 18th 04, 04:05 AM
D. Stussy

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004, Ryan, KC8PMX wrote:
I would agree Phil, as that seems like the type of thing we SHOULD be able
to do as it would be in both the general public (with scanners) as well as
the ham radio public's general safety interest.

Also, AMBER alerts could be included as well as the HOMELAND security
stuff...... With AMBER alerts, the information could be shared within an
area affected, and if a ham sees the child, they could be trained to call
the authorities. (not take matters into their own hands....)

Yet, it is exactly that type of transmission that Mr. Cross called ILLEGAL in
his comments. He had better never need that system for one of his children:
"Sorry Mr. Cross. You, as an FCC employee, said that retransmitting an Amber
Alert was illegal. We can't help you."