Old July 18th 04, 04:09 AM
D. Stussy

On Wed, 13 Jul 2004, William wrote:
Subject: WX Receivers and Repeaters retransmitting non-weather alerts.
From: "D. Stussy"

Date: 7/12/2004 2:21 AM Central Standard Time
On Sat, 10 Jul 2004, Phil Kane wrote:
On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 08:18:15 GMT, D. Stussy wrote:
Why not petition to change the rules to allow such retransmission?

Because I believe that [simultaneous and automatic] retransmission is

ALREADY
PROVIDED FOR in the existing rules and should not be considered a

violation.
At most, the existing problem is one FCC employee's view - and thus a bad
ruling. What is there to actually change?

Dieter...r e a d t h i s v e r y s l o w l y ............

97.113(e) No station shall retransmit programs...(SNIP TO...)Propagation,
weather forecasts, and shuttle retransmissions may not be conducted on a
regular basis, but only occasionally, as an incident of normal amateur radio
communication

"...MAY NOT BE CONDUCTED ON A REGULAR BASIS..."

WHERE in that did you get the idea that "simultaneous and automatic"
retransmission is "already provided for"...?!?!?!

Deiter, if it occurred on a regular basis, then it would not cause
alarms to go off. It occurs only occasionally. And alarms then go
off.

??? Why are you addressing THAT to me? I didn't say that. SR said it.

I said that it IS (or should be) allowed, and that the FCC's William Cross
seems to be wrong as his answer appears to be contrary to the public good (an
implied mandate for the ARS via its "goodwill" and "emergency communication"
aspects).

What use would an alarm be if it occurred on a regular basis?

No kidding. Obviously, some responders to this topic have missed that point.