Old February 20th 04, 09:28 PM
Allodoxaphobia

On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 13:17:19 -0500, cme hath writ:
I was wondering if a antenna is shipped folded and then erected . Can the
same antenna be refolded without damaging the elements. I have the chance to
buy a radioshack vhf/uhf antenna that came folded but dont know if it can
be refolded without damaging the elements. In other words are they locked
and you have force them to refold and damage them.

In most cases - yes, the elements can be re-parked in their shipping
postion. As you may have guessed: the antenna is not "designed" for
such use -- but, if you are careful, it can be done many times.
Suggestion: Use gloves -- the configuration is designed for the easy
"leveraging" of the elements out into their "locked" positions.
It's when you want to un-lock them and re-stow them that you are
faced with futzing with the stamped metal pieces that do the
locking.

I have a Ch2 TV antenna I've modified for use on 6M, and I
transport it to and from mountain tops with the elements in
the "stowed" position.

After some use, you'll probably need to use large pliers to
re-"tweak" the setting of the stamped metal locking pieces.

YMMV: Every manufacturer may have different implementations
of the locking scheme -- and even different implementations
amongst its various models,

73
Jonesy