Old July 21st 04, 05:06 AM
Len Over 21

In article ,
(Jim Hampton) writes:

(Len Over 21) wrote in message
In article , Mike Coslo

writes:

I guess, as in most things, "it all depends..."

Let's assume a newly minted extra class licensee. He/she knows the
(listed) answer as to what an emitter follower is. He/she also can
perform a simple math calculation as to what voltage will result (with
no current draw) at a tap in a voltage divider.

After a couple of years of on-air experience, he/she applies for a
tech job. There is a simple test to take to see if you understand
simple electronics. He/she is presented a very simple schematic of an
emitter follower with an open input (of course, a simple bias network
gives an appropriate voltage/current to the base) and an open output.
As can be expected, there is a resistor from ground to the emitter and
a resistor from the collector to +12 V. The questions a

1) what is the dc voltage at the output of the circuit?
2) What is the voltage at the collector of the transistor?

Assumptions are made that the transistor in question has a reasonably
high beta and they aren't looking for perfection anyways; just an
answer that would reasonably be seen if you stuck a digital meter on
the output.

If they answer the question, one can assume that they actually know
the material.

Of course, if the answer is that one wants the license only to "talk",
then the whole problem is moot. If you examine this newsgroup, you
will find a lot of code-tested amateurs, non-code tested amateurs, and
non-licensed folks that can not only talk, but argue up a storm

Okay. I see that a lot in rec.radio.amateur.homebrew. Talk.

Could have laid it out on the bench and DONE it with quick and
dirty prototype in the time required to argue. :-)

Whew! I'm back, finally, after changing ISPs and having a problem for
a week with my browser. Turned out there was a trojan dropper hanging
in an old abandoned folder and I kept getting hit with trojans locking
up the browser! Ad-aware, Spybot search and destroy, and AVG finally
cured the thing (with a brief boot to DOS to delete the directory and
virus that AVG couldn't move).

Too soon old, too late smart

Sometimes the only way to survive is to drop to primitive level and
Reformat the HD! :-)

Heh, I cheated and got an HP Pavilion box. Got a 17" TFT LCD
display too as the old 6 1/2 year CRT display bit the dust in the
horizontal sweep. I care not to bother repairing it. Recycle. The
TFT is like wonderful to the eyes. :-)

Gee, do these threads ever die of old age or do they simply keep
resurfacing?

Nope. They are as ageless as the old wounds of the passionate
arguers can continue to hurt! :-)

Some just have to keep on with the re-runs of old arguments, hoping
they might win one on the eleventieth hundred go around...

Their original points MUST be made! :-)

LHA / WMD