Old July 21st 04, 12:52 PM
N2EY

In article , Mike Coslo writes:

I wonder how many people DO memorize the question pools as opposed to
doing the background work.

There was an article on the ARRL website a few months ago about an "efficient"
"Tech in a day" class. The authors (who were not ARRL staff, btw) went on about
their high success rate and 'efficiency' in getting people licensed.

Basically their method was to simply review the Tech question pool. A quick
cram course, and then the test. First-time pass rate of more than 85% IIRC.

The article caused such a stir that it was quickly pulled. ;-)

I say such courses actually do new hams a disservice because they are left with
a license but not the knowledge or skills they need to use it.

I don't know if anyone offers "General in a day" or "Extra in a day" courses,
but I have read of a "GROL in a day" course. Money-back guarantee, IIRC.

It isn't very smart to do it that way. 800
plus questions just for the Extra license is a *lot* of memorization.

Not if you consider that:

1) You don't have to do it all at once. There are three writtens and they don't
share pools

2) You don't have to memorize the pool - just enough of the correct answers.

3) Get ~74% right and you pass. You get the same license as someone who aced
it.

4) A guess is as good as gold.

A lot of hams I know used "Now You're Talking" as a study guide when
they got their Technician's license. That has lots of other stuff
besides just the pool.

Good for them! Most of the new hams (and old ones too!) I've encountered really
do want to learn the material, not just pass the test.

73 de Jim, N2EY