Old July 21st 04, 12:52 PM
N2EY

In article , Mike Coslo writes:

Depends what you mean by "better" and "worse", Mike.

Well, I say they are a *functional* equivalent. Some don't like them
because the question pool has the exact answer desired, and knowing the
exact answer desired means that someone can just give that answer and be
done. But if the answer is in a text, then we can read the text and get
the exact answer too.

The difference is that reading the text requires some understanding of the
material. As Dee points out, if you know only that there will be questions
about quarter-wave verticals on the test, you learn the formula and how to use
it. But if you know the question pool has, say, 3 questions on quarter wave
verticals, and they are for 2, 15 and 40 meters, it may be easier and quicker
to just memorize a few bits of info needed to answer those questions.

Here's something to try.

Let us take a website:

http://www.ewh.ieee.org/reg/7/millen...scientist.html

This is IEEE's write-up on Reginald Fessenden.

Let's take a situation where there is a question on the first date of
transmitted sound.

Quoting from the page:

Professor Kintner, who was working for Fessenden at that time,
designed an interrupter to give 10,000 breaks a second, and this
interrupter was built by Brashear, an optician. The interrupter was
delivered in January or February 1900, but experiments were not
conducted until the fall of that year. To modulate his transmitter,
he inserted a carbon microphone directly in series with the antenna
lead. After many unsuccessful tries, transmission of speech over a
distance of 1.5 km was finally achieved on 23 December 1900, between
15-metre masts located at Cobb Island, Maryland.

A couple paragraphs later....

Fessenden's greatest radio communications successes happened in 1906.
On 10 January, two-way transatlantic telegraphic communication
was achieved -- another first – between Brant Rock, Massachusetts,
and Macrihanish, Scotland. James C. Armor, Fessenden's chief assistant,
was the operator at Macrihanish, and Fessenden himself was the operator
at Brant Rock.

End quote

OK.

There are some questions that may be easily taken from these paragraphs.

When was the date of the first successful voice transmission?

A. July 15, 1905

B. December 1, 1899

C. December 23, 1900

D. January 10, 1906

Some place you can look up the answer = C

What was the distance of the first transmission?

A. 1.5 Kilometers

B. 1.5 miles

C. Transatlantic

D. 5 meters

Some place you can look up the answer = A

Okay. So which is the superior method?

Depends what you mean by "superior".

Right, but I consider them functional equivalents, so the superiority
of one over the other is not my concern.

But they're not functional equivalents at all.

If someone who knows nothing about Fessenden discovers that there are only

two
Fessenden questions in the pool, he/she need only learn two simple facts
("first voice transmission date = 1900" and "first voice transmission

distance
= 1.5 km = about 1 mile".

But if a question pool is not available, the person has to learn a whole

lot
more because there's no telling what Fessenden questions, or how many, will

be
on the test.

and if a question pool is available, the student has to go over the
entire question pool to learn the few questions that are asked.

Except if you have the pools available, you don't even have to read the
paragraphs. Just highlight the right answers to those two questions and you're
set.

But if all you know is that there will be questions about Fessenden and the
first voice radio transmissions, you'll read and try to absorb the whole story.

If I were to voice my preferences, I would just as soon read a nice
story about Mr. Fessenden than a dry question pool. But functionally the
two are identical.

Not really. Heck, I could write at least a dozen different questions from
those paragraphs.

the two questions asked were just a sample. Indeed there are a huge
number of questions that can be gathered from that text. In fact, I
would credit the author with writing an excellent piece. Interesting,
with just the right mix of human and technical interest. but I digress....

Not at all! It proves the point - if someone knows the exact Q&A, they can
focus on those questions alone, and miss the broader experience.

Should the answers to the question pool be some deep hidden tome, not
accessible to the public?

Nope.

The *exact questions* should be secret! But that's not going to happen any
time soon, so why get worked up over it?

I'm not terribly worked up over it, but it seems there are plenty
enough Hams that are.

Sure, but there's not much that can be done about it. Simply making the QP
larger doesn't completely solve the problem either..

As much as the two methods are pretty much the
same, I would only agree with that if no one was allowed to study *any*
reference material *at all*. Reading the two paragraphs gives you the
*exact* same answers as looking at a question pool.

Not really.

If we know the exact Q&A in this hypothetical question pool, the whole
story that started out like this:

[...]

Boils down to this:

transmission of speech over a
distance of 1.5 km was finally achieved on 23 December 1900

It boils down to that for the purposes of the question pool for sure.

Which is what people will tend to study for!

I'll take having to study the second over having to study the first any
day.

The story is more interesting than the question pool. but the test
process isn't designed to be interesting. It is designed to check that
the prospective Ham (or whoever is taking a test for whatever subject)
has been exposed to material thought to be important.

Not just exposed - understands!

Finally, I deliberately included this particular material and this
specific question because of a current disagreement between to members
of the group.

Do you see Len admitting he's wrong, even when IEEE says so?

Not directly.

Of course not.

But I don't expect a "Wow, was I wrong" In fact, there
are only a few people that I ever expect that from. I'm perfectly happy
to admit when I'm wrong, but I'm the oddball.

That makes two of us.

Len was wrong about the first voice transmission date.

And a bunch of other things about Fessenden. And a bunch of other things in
general. Only problem is that some people may take him seriously. I sure don't.

Okay, so what. I
still enjoy reading his posts. So many of them make me laugh with his
wit and puns.

Dipped in acid they are,

They smell of something else ;-)

but witty nonetheless.

Halfway there, anyway ;-) ;-)

Even when
he calls me a hockey puck or a fifth wheel on the Four Morsemen of the
Apocalypse - man, that's funny stuff!

What's really funny is that he doesn't get the joke when it's turned on him.

One of the key elements of humor is surprise. Len is totally predictable, so
there's little if any humor in his posts. Heck, there's even a profile of him
that exactly predicts his behavior here.

But Len does serve one good purpose: he's one of the best friends the code test
ever had. He's probably done more to keep code testing a requirement for a US
ham license than any of us.

For that, let us be truly thankful ;-)

73 de Jim, N2EY