Old July 21st 04, 10:59 PM
N2EY

"Bert Craig" wrote in message .net...
"N2EY" wrote in message

I don't know if anyone offers "General in a day" or "Extra in a day"

courses,
but I have read of a "GROL in a day" course. Money-back guarantee, IIRC.

73 de Jim, N2EY

My avionics professor noted this and developed a series of screening tests
to thwart the "one day wonder" syndrome.

You mean the "GROL in a day" thing is real? I wasn't sure.

Sure, you could study the Q&A pool
"guides" and get your tickets. (Both FAA & FCC) However, in order to pass
the licensing courses, (Airframe, Powerplant, & Avionics) you had to score
= 80 on you "screenings." Of course, the licensing classes were required to

earn your sheepskin. At the time, we thought it "$ucked big time," but were
thankful during our job interviews when little details like Kirchoff and
Thevenin found their way into the interviewer's questions.

bwaahaahaa

Back in BSEE school, at least one prof used to make us get up and
teach - totally at random. He'd put a problem on the board, then ask
if we knew how to solve it. If we said yes, he'd toss somebody the
chalk and say "show me". (There was no way we'd say no unless it was
totally new material).

One course (3 trimesters) in grad school had no tests at all. Instead
you had to do presentations in front of the whole class, who would ask
questions and pick apart your explanations.

Back in the bad old days, the way you passed the code receiving test
was that the examiner had to find at least a certain number of
consecutive correct legible characters on your paper. If he couldn't
read them, you failed. And you had to send with a straight key until
he said passed or failed. Totally his judgement.

73 de Jim, N2EY