Old July 22nd 04, 05:50 AM
Len Over 21

In article , Mike Coslo
writes:

Len Over 21 wrote:

In article , Mike Coslo

writes:

The implication is that the Olde Wayes are the ONLY way to go.

Some think so

Their problem, not ours. :-)

Times change and people of the now have to change, adapt.

Passing the amateur test only yields personal authorization to
transmit RF energy on certain frequencies using certain modes
and modulations, always abiding by federal regulations thereto.

True.

I stated a "plain, simple fact" above. :-)

I'd say that a "quickie cram course" fulfills getting a license. The
license is not, nor was it ever, any "degree" or academic certificate
of learning anything. The FCC is not chartered to be an academic
organization.

Oh, it fulfills it all right. And thousands (hundreds millions?) of
university students work it that way. Is that a good thing though? I'll
reserve the right to think that if there is a test, I'll figure out
what's being tested and go learn it. Some people may or may not want to
do that. If they want to cram and forget, so be it. No law says I have
to like it! 8^)

There's lots of personnel people in companies convinced that ONLY
those academic certificates show an job applicant's ability. That's
why the medium to large companies needing engineers do the
second and final interviews by staff engineers.

The academic certificate gets one in the door, so it is valuable. Looks
good on a resume (not a curricula vitae) and some use that as a "title."

Too many take Titles at face value. That's the old royalty thing coming
alive again. But, does a Nobel Laureate biochemistry PhD have the
SAME smarts in national socio-politics? Doubtful. [see Linus Pauling]

An olde tyme hamme that is a whiz with "CW" can follow the absolute
procedures, protocols, and other good things of the 1930s and 1940s
and that makes him/her a Great Guru of modern amateur radio?
They would say "absolutely yes, yes, yes!" but that is just themselves
talking about what they can do. That doesn't necessarily fit what
all modern radio amateurs (or prospective amateurs) "should be."

And I suspect that almost all new Hams try to do this the right way.

What is "the right way?"

Is anyone going to lose their job for not doing it "the right way?"

Is not passing a ham test going to subtract from college credits?

Will your family, friends, neighbors all shun you if you fail a ham
test?

The "right way" is obviously an opinion.

Right! OPINION. Personal opinion, biased by whatever They did.

People following the thread
will figure out that my version of the right way is to use whatever is
given to you as study tools, and that which you don't know, you go find
out about.

Good answer!

So far, with only 108 years of life as a communications tool, radio
has been constantly growing, expanding, pushing states of the art
beyond several plateaus. It hasn't stood still to allow everyone to
catch their breath let along become stagnant on "knowing all the
answers." New questions/answers keep appearing all the time.

What was once the "best thing/way to do" has given way to numerous
things/ways to do, not once but many times. One has to keep at
the self-learning process to keep up. Schools can't keep up to date
though many try.

Who knows, I'm not an OF.... yet. Hope I eventually get to be one
because the alternative ain't much fun.

OF-ism is a mental thing, not a chronological thing.

A good example is the fabulous Eric June who once graced this news-
grope in a series of arguments with Cecil Moore. Two Extras with very
different outlooks. Cecil was (is?) flexible despite being older. June
was an inflexible thirtysomething...finally, grudgingly conceded defeat.

Cecil has been around for a long time but one cannot call him an OF
in thoughts or opinions...though many have tried. :-)

The "alternative" awaits us all. Even the morseodists. No sweaty-dah.

Might as well learn to live with it. :-)

LHA / WMD