Old August 8th 04, 01:18 PM
N2EY

In article , John Kasupski
writes:

On 07 Aug 2004 18:56:04 GMT, PAMNO (N2EY) wrote:

Once they got exposed to rock'n'roll, blue jeans and McDonald's, they wanted
be capitalists. Heck, the Soviets weren't defeated by Star Wars, Radio Free
Europe or Berlin as much as by the Pepsi Generation and Ronald McDonald.

All of this is *way* off topic for this NG and belongs in some
political discussion group.

Thread drift is par for the course here, John.

However...I think the USSR was defeated
primarily because communism as a system of government tends to ignore
the human nature of the governed as well as the political, social, and
economic conditions that exist at any given time.

Agreed - but that's not inconsistent with what I wrote. Once the average Soviet
began to see what capitalism and freedom could do (in the form of things like
rock'n'roll and McDonald's) they wanted that stuff.

And it's not just 'communism' - it's any collectivist system that routinely
requires people to place the good of "society" or "the group" above their own.

Communism is at odds with religion - dooming it to failure because it
is human nature to look for answers to questions that science cannot
answer and thus only religion can provide.

Depends what you mean by "communism". If you're talking about economic
capitalism ("workers own the means of production") there's no reason religion
and economic communism can't coexist. But if you're talking about ideological
communism, where the collective mindset is supposed to replace individual
logic, religion is incompatible because it may set up a different set of
values, ideals, and authority figures.

IOW, ideological communism sets itself up as the 'religion'. And in many ways
it's very similar: Many (not all) religions require blind acceptance of "items
of faith" - ideological communism requires unquestioning acceptance of what is
"the good of the people". Many (not all) religions say they are the *only* way
for humans to live morally - same with ideological communism.

Most of all, many religions require their adherents to "sacrifice" various
earthly delights because they are "wrong" or "for the good of others" - just
like ideological communism.

Communism fails to reward productivity thus removing the incentive to
be productive. This leads to the economic failure of the system.

All collectivist systems do that - some more than others. A nuclear family is a
collectivist system of a sort. But in a healthy family, the rewards for
productivity are not removed, though they may be delayed.

The best description I've seen of why collectivist systems fail is in "Atlas
Shrugged" where the collapse of the Twentieth Century Motor Company is
described - and the reasons for it.

I know that for me, the lying was much worse than the act itself. I think it
would have been much better for all if he'd done one of two things:

1) Said "That's a personal matter - it's none of your business - next
question"

OR

2) Said "Yeah, sure, I shagged her silly. Most of you would have too, given
the opportunity. Big deal, live with it."

I'd have been impressed with the guy if he'd have simply had enough
cojones to say something like, "Yeah, she did it, it was great, eat
your heart out." Lying about it was definitely the worst part of the
whole affair as far as I'm concerned.

We're saying the same thing.

I remember Clinton saying his role model was JFK. Well, JFK was allegedly
involved with Marilyn Monroe, while WJC got Monica. Sigh.

Eisenhower was rumored to have been romantically linked (to be polite
about it) with a female sarge who drove his staff car...

Kate Sommersby

which would
not only be adultery but also violate military protocol since officers
aren't supposed to be romantically involved with enlisted personnel.

Agreed but that was only a rumor. The Monica deal was proven.

Kennedy supposedly had Marilyn Monroe, Clinton had Gennifer Flowers
and later Monica Lewinsky, while for Nixon, there was his dog
Checkers. (snicker)

bwaahaahaa - what about LBJ?

73 de Jim, N2EY