Old August 12th 04, 01:33 PM
Mike Mills

"N2EY" wrote in message
om...

There's a bit of marketing psych going on here, of course. Asking
somebody to cough up seven cents a day or forty-nine cents a week
isn't the same thing as asking them to pay $25 a year. And asking them
to pay $25 a year isn't the same thing as asking them to pay $250 for
ten years, payable up-front.

Marketing psych ? Well, if that's the choice or
even if I just had to pay 10 cents per month to renew my
ham license, I'd let my callsign lapse. Just not worth it as
there are many better things / hobbies to waste money upon
besides ham radio. A casual listen to the daily Net
'boredom parade' on 40M will convince anyone of this.

Sounds to me like this scatterbrained idea to
charge $250 fee for a renewal is almost as bad
as the dry-drunks at ARRL which gave us "Incentive
Licensing" in the 1960's, from which ham radio
has never fully recovered. (even with code requirements
being relaxed, you still don't see young people comming
into the hobby anymore, this should tell you something....)

The smart marketer knows that you need to make the initial payout
relatively small. That's why there was never any fee for a Novice
exam.

Sure, it works everytime. I am in the auto sales
business and we have a saying: "For every seat
there's an ass, for every wallet there's a credit plan"

(These are updates of the original: "There's a sucker born every minute")

--

Hopefully, Hans will submit his proposal to FCC before it's too late.

yawn

73 de Jim, N2EY

The future is he http://****qrz.com