Old February 22nd 04, 05:01 AM
Dave Head

Maybe its a Yeasu characteristic, but I doubt it. My biggest suspicion is
loose mounting bolts. Will have to crank it over soon and take a look.

Thanks for the info.

Dave Head

On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 16:38:40 -0500, Bill J wrote:

I have been looking at my beam also thinking it is moving too much in
the wind. It is a Yaesu rotor and a Moseley 4 element beam. Almost looks
like the 2" mast (about 5 ft.) is flexing, but I am pretty sure that
can't be. It is up 45 feet on a Universal Aluminum unguyed tower very
firmly mounted in concrete.

Dave Head wrote:
Hi,

I have a 4 el., 5 band quad on a Yeasu rotator on a Heights Aluminum tower.
The antenna is swinging, in a fairly stiff breeze today, a total of about 20
degrees of arc. Of course that's not a problem with the width of the beam of a
4 el quad, but the 24 el 2 meter antenna I plan to add might have an issue with
that much swing. I forget which model Yeasu rotator it is, but it is supposed
to be big enough for the 4 el. quad (30 ft boom). G450? I think?

Anyway, is 20 degrees in a stiff wind too much? Can I expect the rotator to
fail soon over this? The tower does not appear to be twisting. The rotor base
plate doesn't seem to be moving. I don't think there's that much play in the
bolts of the masting, and the tower appears tight to the mast. I think the
play is in the rotator.

Is it common for a rotator to have that much play?

Dave Head