Old February 22nd 04, 11:55 PM
Peter O. Brackett

Jim:

[snip]
Gawwwwd! You list makes me feel really old. Not only do I recognize
all your references, I knew "Ernie" personally... but I had Harry B.
Lee as my instructor, since I was in VI-B.

...Jim Thompson

[snip]

Heh, heh... No one could "splain" driving point synthesis like "Ernie".

But... Time moves on...

Y. W. Lee, I have met, Harry B. Lee?

I never had the pleasure.

Best Regards,

--
Peter K1PO
Consultant - Signal Processing and Analog Electronics

"Jim Thompson" wrote in message
On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 22:34:02 GMT, "Peter O. Brackett"
wrote:

[snip]
Network synthesis was widely researched, studied and taught back in the
1940 - 1970 era but... today it is seldom seen, used, or taught. There

are
however lots of older textbooks which cover this field in great depth.

[snip]
1.) Ernst A. Guillemin, "Synthesis of Passive Networks", John Wiley &

Sons,
NY, 1957. [LC# 57-8886. On technical library shelves at LCShelf
Call # TK3226.G84. See Chapters 3, 4, 9, 10 which cover the DPI

synthesis
in detail, and Chapter 14 which covers the approximation problem.]

2.) Norman Balabanian, "Network Syntheis" Prentice-Hall, Englewood
Cliffs, NJ 1958. [LC# 58-11650. On technical library shelves at LCC
Shelf Call # TK3226.B26. See Chapters 2 & 3 for DPI and Chapter
9 for the approximation problem.]

3.) Louis Weinberg, "Network Analysis and Synthesis", McGraw-Hill,
New York, 1962. [LC# 61-16969. On technical library shelves at
LC Shelf Call # TK3226.W395. See Chapter's 9 & 10 for DPI
synthesis and Chapter 11 for the approximation problem]

One does not have to realize such designs with purely passive RLC
networks and, in appropriate frequency ranges, they can often be
synthesized with active RC networks [R, C and Op-Amps] by
appropriate transformations of the passive synthesis results.

See for instance...

4.) Adel S. Sedra and Peter O. Brackett, "Filter Theory and Design:
Active and Passive", Matrix Publishers, Portland, OR, 1978. [LC #
76-39745. On technical library shelves at LCC Shelf Call #
TK7872.F5S42.]

[snip]

--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |