Old January 17th 05, 10:46 AM
Markus L

"Charles Brabham" wrote in message
om...

"Bob Bob" wrote in message

I'll have to check if the Linux AX25 implementation has DAMA available..
Cant imagine I'll get back into packet until I move though. Have you by
any chance come accross any webpages that cover East Texas? I have seen
bits of the Arkansas network and around Austin but not up around
Longview/Tyler.

I'm pretty sure that XNET offers DAMA access, as it generally emulates
FlexNet with the addition of a few additional features. I don't keep up

with
the XNET news, but I'm sure there is a Linux version of XNET. I've been
warned that XNET is buggy - but I haven't taken the time to confirm or

deny
any of that. In fact, my last experience with XNET was several years ago

and
what I did back then set it up and verify that it worked. I didn't really
give it much of a workout on the air, so I can't tell you much about that.
If it does a good job of emulating Flexnet, it should be an outstanding
performer.

Yes, (X)NET offers DAMA. We used it years ago on a dual-speed 1200/9600 user
access port to prevent collisions because TNCs cannot detect transmissions
not using their own speed. Of course there's a certain protocol overhead but
DAMA performed fine. We abandoned it after the majority of users migrated to
9600. We ran (X)NET Linux in our PBBS for many years. Extremely robust,
sysop maintenance work was virtually zero. Still running (X)NET DOS in our
local digipeater. BTW, there's an (X)NET forum accessible via
http://www.swiss-artg.ch/xnet/index.html although it seems to be down
currently.

Markus HB9BRJ