Old September 11th 04, 10:11 PM
KØHB

"Len Over 21" wrote

Has the ARRL been telling the truth all those years
about amateur involvement in "real emergency situations?"

Yes, I think that their reporting has been honest (with an
understandable tendency to "patting amateur radio on the back").

Gosh, from all I see in here, radio amateurs are akin to "minutemen
of the air" ready at a moment's notice to come to the aid of their
country in time of need!

Many amateurs feel exactly that way, and keep their stations ready to do
exactly that.

Apparently the USG and other non-amateur organizations feel that way
also, given the monetary grants made to enhance emergency communications
training in the amateur community.

Remember, when real emergencies happen all the commercial
infrastructure fails!

Is Leonard Anderson telling the truth about "all the commercial
infrastrure fails" or is he "exaggerating somewhat"?

Field Day is supposed to be the "emergency training" isn't it?

Yes, that is one of the reasons for that operating event.

With warmest personal regards,

de Hans, K0HB